Loofah or Luffa sponges are an amazing natural and organic alternative to the man-made petroleum-based products such as the nylon shower puff.
The loofah plant is a relative of the cucumber family and has been grown and used for millenia in many tropical countries such an the Philippines and around the world.
Not only is is a natural alternative to the plastic and synthetic bathing accessories on the market today, it is also an incredible vegan alternative to the “natural” sea sponge which essentially is the corpse of a dead sponge animal and is collected or cut from the bottom of the ocean to be used for bathing.
- Exfoliates: Our top layer of skin (epidermis) naturally sheds dead skin cells but many of these dead cells remain on the skin which can make your complexion look dull and grey. Use our loofah to help exfoliate and remove these cells with gentle friction. Removing dead skin cells not only improves the look of your skin, it also sweeps away places where bacteria and soil could collect.
- Improves circulation: Any friction on your skin increases localized blood flow. The tiny blood vessels closest to your skin (capillaries), naturally expand when stimulated. Use our loofah to stimulate and increase circulation in the areas you scrub with it. A loofah’s firm but elastic fibers are round in cross section and are less likely to scratch skin if used correctly.
We have two sizes available:
- A large loofah that is firmer and more abrasive. Great for scrubbing elbows, knees and very dry skin.
- A smaller softer and less abrasive loofah
Loofahs help keep your skin in good shape, but they can also harbor bacteria in their many tiny holes if not correctly cared for.
- Like all plant matter, loofahs will degrade if kept constantly wet, so let your loofah air dry between uses.
- Washing or soaking it in a mild bleach solution could extend its useful life.
- Replace your loofah frequently. It is recommended to replace every 4-6 weeks. Bu this could be extended with proper care and hygiene.
- A clean loofah has a mild strawlike smell; any off-putting odors signify that it needs to be replaced.